Tuesday, February 18, 2014

.:about flowers and green stuff:.

I'm not that great when it comes down to growing stuff (apart from the little lady, but she does well on her own ;) )... usually flowers and plants will get by for a month or two, and then or they keep on living by their own resources or they give up and throw the towel, erm... better say the leaves...

if the plant blooms once a year it is almost certain that it will never bloom again... on the other hand, if it blooms every once in a while it can make its thing continuously for a long time (a mystery, I tell you) like five months in a row and then expire out of the blue from natural cause...

the thing is: I love flowers!!! who doesn't?!? (hey, there... I know you are allergic sis, but life isn't perfect, is it?) My husband knows of my love for colourful-sweet-smelling-living greenery, and he never fails to bring some into the house on special occasions...

V-day's flowers
This were the beauties he produced for valentines this year... Orchidea is a huge hit here... Those with a green thumb showcase a true tropical forest on their windowsills... They are beautiful, I guess they have the longest living blooms and aren't high-maintanace... Not necessary to tell you I was happy with the display of trust it represented... "Hub believes I can keep them alive!" 

But then he came with the reasoning that got me orchidee instead of cut blooms: "you know, every time you have to throw away the flowers I give you it seems you want to keep them longer... I thought I could as well give you a potted plant so that you would have the excuse to keep it... besides, this one will last at least two months in flower..."

Rough translation? - I know plants here are never in flower twice, so let me get them to display the colours for the longest time possible... - so much for trust, right?
dying cyclamini
When we were away my father-in-law took care of our plants... I remember the first present they've ever given me, it was a couple of white flowers, like the ones on the photo above... I arrived here in February and the two plants were always blossoming up to October... never a day without flowers... can you believe it? True, you have my word...

Then my i-laws presented me with those flowers from the pic when we came back... the sweetest mother-in-law ever remembered the flowers and the father my love for plants (he is the green thumb of the family, if my plants are standing on the edge I take them to his house and the go back to life - AMAZING!)... but willing as I am to keep them alive, as you can see,  I am not doing a great job...

Sweet little pea's V-day present
 No matter how hard I try to maintain all this wild life healthy, they insist on dying on me... the solution? keep buying them... they come beautifully arranged from the florist, get by for some time, them it is "bye-bye-birdie" and open doors for the next...

spring blooms
 To lessen my woes there is spring on the way... I love how you can see the bulbs preparing to take form and shooting out of their shells filling the place with wonderful aroma... plus, there is no way you can keep one of them from opening, they manage to be ready and oh so pretty even when it is me looking after them...
tulip
 I just can't wait for spring and fields full of flowers with perfume in the air... (who cares about hay fever when you've got flowers to compensate?) Hurry spring, I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment